Do you often find it difficult to speak with others in public about some of the current social issues impacting America today? Do you feel a loss of words, lack of needed information or fear of stepping on sensitive toes? You are not alone! And yet, if there was ever a time for God’s sons and daughters to boldly speak with divine wisdom on social issues it is now.
Even secular voices are crying out for a response by the church to speak out for justice and godly solutions that help society thrive with life. Oprah Winfrey recently stated that “America has lost her core moral center. Churches used to provide that core center of values about a way of living and being in this world, and until we return to that (whatever that is) we will continue to be lost.”
The church has a moral responsibility to lead society back to a healthy way of being. We can no longer ignore the state of America’s soul or the dark actions driving a death narrative. We are here for a purpose and we must engage America’s current story with truth and love.
In a recent dream, the Lord showed me a huge football field onto which He was strategically positioning each of His sons and daughters in a designed “play” to advance His plans towards His goal line. You and I are being positioned for such a time as this. Father is stretching us in new ways and calling us to move with Him on behalf of this nation. While He wants us to intercede for revival, He also wants us to labor for cultural reformation. The wellbeing of our nation depends on our engagement with God and society.
While cultural issues may often seem overwhelming, God’s strategies are not complicated. The Bible says, “Submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you (James 4:7). Darkness advances when there is no resistance. Martin Luther King Jr. said, “To ignore evil is to become accomplice to it.” This means we must take time to understand the deeper issues at hand, as well as what God has to say about it for His thoughts are always redemptive. As we seek to understand we will then have a wise answer to give.
Daniel 12:3 says, “The wise will shine as the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.” It’s time to rise and shine!
Satan is gathering his forces and unifying his workers to advance his evil works from the schoolroom to the boardroom to government seats. He schemes to keep God’s people shut up, shut down, and immobile as we are a threat to his advancement. He whispers in our ears that our opinion doesn’t matter and intimidates us with fear of criticism or confrontation. But greater is He that is in us than He that is in the world! Satan’s days are numbered but God is eternal!
God is love and wants people and nations to thrive in paths of goodness. His instructions are for our good. We must be a voice for what is good for society lest evil prevail. Love has a voice and His name is the Word. The Body of Christ is the Body of the Word…our calling in Christ is to speak on His behalf.
Next month the world will be entering a new decade on the Hebrew calendar (5780 – 5789), one represented by the symbol of the mouth. This means that it’s time for us to rise and declare the word of the Lord, speak His wisdom and release His decrees into cultural issues. Jane Hansen Hoyt, President of Aglow International says, “This is the era of ‘Let there be!’” We can no longer leave the future of our nation and children in the hands of those whose voices are echoing hell’s plots. We must move beyond cultural propaganda and dig deeper to know the truth and find God’s solutions and speak them. The course of a nation is dependent on yours and my actions for such a time as this.
The following are some great action steps you and I can take:
- Fast and Pray: Join prayer groups. Release God’s Word and decrees over critical areas of concern
- Share the gospel
- Focus on one area of culture per week or month: Family, Business, Government, Religion, Education, Media, Arts & Entertainment
- Take 10 minutes per day to educate yourself on critical issues regarding that area AND our Constitution!
- Study God’s Word regarding those issues and His desire for that area of culture
- Ask God how you can make a difference in that area
- Make a phone call or send an email to an appropriate individual who works in that area about your concerns; Meet with them if possible and ask how you can pray or what further action you can take!
- Talk with your state & house representatives, School ISD leadership, civic leaders, etc.
- Inquire of the Holy Spirit for creative strategies to release a Kingdom narrative into cultural issues
- Remember:Social Media is our “Roman Road” of communication! Use it with wisdom; be led of the Spirit.
- Gather with others to whom God is connecting you with to take action for making a difference
- VOTE!! Support candidates who advance righteous policies and platform
Excerpts and concepts taken from Breaking the Silence: Taking a Stand for Life, Liberty, and All Things Good by J. Nicole Williamson and Alisa Burns